Welcome to Our Blog!
Braces Friendly Thanksgiving Food
November is here and that means that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. WGM Orthodontics would like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday that is spent with family, friends, and food!
We know that cutting back on sweets and hard foods is difficult, but that doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your favorite Thanksgiving dishes. We would like to offer a few braces-friendly Thanksgiving tips to make your holiday meal an enjoyable one!
Foods to Eat or Avoid to Protect Your Braces
When it comes to maintaining and protecting your braces, here is a list of foods that are safe to eat:
- Turkey or ham will keep your braces in good condition as long as you are not eating directly off the bones.
- Mashed potatoes, cornbread, steamed vegetables are great choices because they are soft and easy on your teeth.
- Pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, and chocolate mousse pie are also good choices as long as there are no crunchy pieces or nuts in the ingredient. (We usually don’t recommend sweets, but indulging once in a while should be fine especially on Thanksgiving!)
Now when it comes to foods that you should avoid:
- Caramels are sticky and can cause problems for your braces
- Hard croutons, nuts, or crunchy crusts may ruin your brackets
- Raw carrots, apples, or corn on the cob should be avoided since these are typically hard foods that can ruin your braces (but you may eat corn on the cob as long as you cut the corn off the cob and eat them off your plate.)
Make sure to always brush your teeth after you happily indulge on your Thanksgiving meal!
Contact WGM Orthodontics For More Information
WGM Orthodontics love hearing from our patients, so if you have any Thanksgiving tips you would like to share or if you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us at our many convenient locations.